The Washington State Chronicles

The Incredible Adventures of Karen C.

Thank God for a day off and some half decent weather! After church today, I decided to visit one of my favorite parks in the area, Clark's Creek Park! This park spans 55 amazing acres of forest, and is home to Clark's Creek (for which the park was named). The north part of the park is fairly recreational with picnic tables, an open play area for kids, tennis courts and softball fields, but I'm more interested in the hiking trails that lead up into the hills. Along the way you can catch glimpses of Clark's Creek trickling through the heavily wooded forest, and you'd be surprised at what else you can stumble upon. At the edge of the park, near 15th Avenue, there's a salmon fish hatchery where they actually raise baby fish, and release them into Clark's Creek where they then work themselves upstream to spawn and live their lives. It's pretty cool. This area is also great for mountain bikers because of all the extreme hills Clark's Creek has to offer. There are lots of bikers out on any given day, so if you ever decide to go visit the park, just make sure you're on the look out for them and stay clear of their path. Sometimes they're traveling at such high speeds coming down the hills that they might not be able to stop in time! And trust me...you'll lose. Ha-ha!

It was fairly cloudy, however, the sun did start to peek it's way out of the overcast skies at the start of my hike. And for that, I was very thankful.



Only a few things have changed since I last visited Clark's Creek, and I'll talk about those in my video blog, which will be posted at the end here. Other than that, it's still the same forest I know and love, with all the old trees and landmarks.

















(Clark's Creek)

I had so much fun on my first hike, and it felt so good to get outside, get some exercise, and some fresh air. I'm definitely beat, though! I can tell that I need to get into shape, and take many more hikes before I tackle anything serious up at Mt. Rainier. I'm so excited though! I can't wait until the summer gets here so I can go on some ranger led hikes up to the glaciers, meadows, and waterfalls near Paradise. I'm also seriously thinking about joining a small group at church that focuses on walking trails in nearby parks to help prepare me for the summer. I think it would be fun to get to know some other people who love to hike and be in the great outdoors as much as I do. My boots need a serious cleaning, but other than that, today was a blast! I felt like I should've been filming some scene from Lord of the Rings, or Twilight! I kept waiting, thinking at any given moment Edward Cullen was going to step out from behind a mossy tree. Ha-ha!

Well, I think my video log best says everything else. Check it out, and until next time -- get out there and enjoy the outdoors!


Clark's Creek Park Hike

Karen


MySpace Video

2 comments:

OMG! Amazing I wish I was there!!! You're lucky and that are reminds me alot of Twilight!, very beautiful and I loved your video and I was having really good time listening to your commentaries =) Keep up the good work =)

Thanks Tammy! Yeah, one of the reasons I love being out in the woods up here in the Pacific Northwest is that it reminds me of Twilight too. I'm a huge fan. Glad you like my blog! :)

Post a Comment