The Washington State Chronicles

The Incredible Adventures of Karen C.

Well, I was finally able to make it down to REI on one of my evenings off. It's fastly becoming my new favorite store, and I'm cringing on the inside thinking about how much money I'm going to be throwing down over the next few years as I start to collect my gear. I ended up purchasing a really nice, lightweight, technical daypack, because I really needed some type of pack to go hiking with. Even if it's not the Deuter Lite pack I'd like to buy eventually, it's still enough to organize "The 10 Essentials" I need to carry out on the trails, and it's hydration compatible. So...with that being said, I think my next purchase will be a reservior so I don't have to lug around my huge 32oz water bottle anymore. Plus it doesn't hurt that my new pack is ecosensitive, being made from 100% recycled PET polyester fabric, which bascially keeps about 24 16oz plastic bottles out of landfills. Kinda like my ecoSNEAKS from Simple Shoes which are completely made out of recycled or organic materials. Makes me feel like I'm at least trying to do something to help out Mother Nature.


(Here's my new pack)

I was able to take my pack for a mini test-drive January 18th on a small daytrip my mom and I took for her birthday. It held everything we needed and still had room to spare. I can't wait to bring it with me on a real hike. Once the weather cooperates again, I plan on visiting a new park I was unaware of called Swan Creek. Apparently it's a 2 mile trail around a creek canyon, with 290 heavily wooded acres, once used as a logging site back in the 1800's. Two hundred and ninety acres! That's twice the size of Clark's Creek! Like Clark's Creek, Swan Creek is also used by salmon to spawn, and eventually flows into the Puyallup River. I'm excited about this one guys, I'm not gonna lie.

Yesterday after work, I took my new pack filled with all my workout gear, and headed for Bradley Lake Park, just off the main strip of Meridian. This fairly recreational park offers a great 0.8 mile paved track around stunning Bradley Lake, with great views, and really amazing trees (the fishing's not bad either). I went for a 2 mile run, just wanting to be outdoors in the fresh air. I'd much rather jog around oxygen producing trees, then along a thick, exhaust polluted street. Besides, with interesting views to keep your eyes occupied, everything else starts to sort of fade into the background, and before you know it, you don't even really realize you're working out at all. I finished off my workout with some yoga at home, and called it an early evening.

Today I took it easy -- it was my day off after all -- and went into town to just pittle around a little bit. I ended up getting a free coffee at Starbucks (hey...I'm never going to refuse free coffee!), and I just so happened to stumble across a super cute green thermal that was 50% off. Better yet, it has thumbholes in it. I love thumbholes! I think they're soooo cute! I've been known to sew thumbholes in my own clothing, but when I find shirts or hoodies that already have them, it's even better.

All in all, not a bad couple of days. The weather has even been mild, apart from the heavy winds. But, it's back to work tomorrow, and for the rest of the week. I am, however, looking forward to my Uncle Fred's birthday coming up on the 28th. It's always a pleasant visit when my Uncle comes over to this neck of the woods.

That's pretty much it. Not much going on around here. Be sure to check back, though. I'll be adding footage and pictures of my trip to Swan Creek soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment