The Washington State Chronicles

The Incredible Adventures of Karen C.

So, I'm not gonna lie...I was thoroughly disappointed today by the fact that my camera's batteries died a mere two snapshots into my hike. Curse you stupid, unreliable, disposable, AA alkaline batteries! My next purchase???

...A package of re-chargable batteries and a charger. Go team green!

The weather wasn't as nice as I hoped it would be, but it could've been worse, so I guess I can't complain too much. I didn't risk hiking very far today, because we've seen a lot of rain fall over the last week or two, and hiking up steep switchbacks with loose trail underfoot didn't seem like a very safe idea to me. I'll wait until early summer to tackle my way up to Indian Henrey's Hunting Ground, once the ground has had a chance to dry out a bit.

Still, my 2.0 mile out-and-back trek proved to have some stunning views (despite the fact that Mt. Rainier was nowhere in sight). I wish I could've had my camera working so I could've taken pictures, but I guess I'll just have to describe it to you, and take photos later this summer when I go back. The Kautz Creek Trail is relatively easy going for the first mile and winds its way through white birch forests, plenty of woodpecker roosts, and rocky terrain, all the while with Kautz Creek whispering in the distance. Although the rich, red, iron infused creek is fairly small (as of now), the creek bed itself is rather large due to the Glacial Outburst Flood of 1947. Sixty-three years later the devestation is still blatantly obvious. During the summer, I'm sure the creek will be quite a bit larger with all the glacier melt-off. Grey, misty clouds crept down from the mountain side, nestling themselves in the deep fir forests of the foothills. The woods were strangely quiet, without even so much as a chirp from a bird. Perhaps because of the season. I went as far as the Kautz Creek Crossing, then turned back, for fear of rougher trail further ahead.

Here's my weak attempt at footage and pictures of my adventure. Drat those batteries! Hopefully next time I'll be more prepared, and maybe the summer weather will provide better light, flowering meadows, and bluer skies.


Kautz Creek (Take 1)

Karen | MySpace Video

0 comments:

Post a Comment